6 Ways To Sneak More Greens Into Your Day (And Actually Stick With It)
Green vegetables have so many health benefits that it’s impossible to ignore them! But the problem is, eating enough of them every day can be a real challenge. If you’re looking for ways to sneak more greens into your life and make sure that you stick with it, these strategies will certainly help.
1. Add them to your breakfast
It’s easy to get used to eating the same breakfast every day; it’s just one less decision to make in the morning! But if you’re looking to add more greens to your daily routine, you can start by incorporating them into your morning meal. Here are a few ideas:
- Add kale or spinach to your smoothies – simply rinse, chop and freeze a few leaves the night before, then blend them with your favourite fruits and milk.
- Make a veggie-packed omelette – add some chopped peppers, mushrooms and spinach to your beaten eggs for a delicious meal.
- Try a new breakfast bowl – cook some quinoa or freekeh, then add steamed broccoli, cauliflower and spinach for a nutritious start to the day.
2. Keep it simple
If you don’t want to spend too much energy on prepping greens, then the simplest thing you can do is keep a few bags of frozen veg in the freezer. You can then add them to stir-fries, pasta sauces or curries in no time.
3. Use snacks as an opportunity
Snacks are a great time to incorporate greens! Here are a few ideas:
- Make a green smoothie – freeze some spinach or kale the night before, then blend it with your favourite fruits and some yoghurt.
- Whip up a fresh dip – blitz some spinach, avocado and garlic in the food processor to make a delicious dip.
- Try a green kale chip – simply tear the leaves into small pieces, spritz them with water and bake until crispy.
4. Don’t neglect lunch
Lunch is another important meal to consider when it comes to eating more greens. Here are some ideas:
- Make a veggie wrap – fill a wrap with spinach, peppers and mushrooms, then top with some grated cheese.
- Create a green salad – fill your bowl with spinach, kale, broccoli and avocado for a tasty meal.
- Try green noodles – replace your usual egg noodles with some spinach noodles, or add some steamed spinach to your soba noodles.
5. Experiment with dinner
Dinner is a great opportunity to explore different types of greens. You could try:
- Adding greens to your curries – add some kale or spinach to your favourite Thai green curry.
- Making green burgers – mix some parsley and spinach into your mince before forming patties, then top with some grated cheese and avocado.
- Stuffing mushrooms with kale – stuff a few mushrooms with some cooked kale, and bake until golden brown.
6. Don’t forget the sides
This is another great way to incorporate greens into your diet. Here are a few ideas:
- Make some roasted broccoli – simply heat some oil in a baking tray, add the broccoli and roast until the edges are golden brown.
- Bake some kale chips – tear the leaves into small pieces, spritz them with water and bake until crispy.
- Sauté some spinach – heat some oil in a pan, add the spinach and sauté until wilted.
These are just a few ways to sneak more greens into your diet. With a bit of creativity and planning, you can make sure that you’re eating the right amount of green vegetables every day and getting all the health benefits they provide!