Fish fingers are really a part of growing up for most kids but when you realise fish are cute as hell, they’re very quickly taken off the menu! There are a few frozen fish finger substitutes out there and they’re all fantastic but I wanted to try things a little differently with my homemade version. Simply using tofu and seaweed as a base, these guys can be whipped up super quickly and easily made gluten free with GF breadcrumbs.
- 750g hi-protein firm tofu
- 4 sheets seaweed
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs (make sure they’re vegan)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Olive oil spray
- Vegan tartare sauce and lemon to serve
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Cut the tofu into fingers (approx. 10cm x 3cm x 1.5cm) and cut the seaweed into 10cm x 3cm rectangles as well.
- Use paper towel to cover the tofu and press down to remove any excess moisture.
- The remaining moisture should allow for you to attach a piece of seaweed to each piece of tofu (double it up if you want it extra “fishy”).
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside until it begins to curdle.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, mixed herbs and nutritional yeast.
- Place each piece of seaweed tofu in the milk mixture before coating in breadcrumbs and doing this one more time so the tofu is nicely crumbed. Repeat this process with the remaining tofu, placing them about 3cm apart on the baking tray.
- Spray with olive oil and bake the fingers for 15 minutes before turning and baking for a further 15 or until the crumbs are a golden brown.
- Serve immediately with vegan tartare sauce, lemon wedges and homemade fries.
Difficulty: Easy Serves 4 Fish fingers are really a part of growing up for most kids but when you realise fish are cute as hell, they’re very quickly taken off the menu! There are a few frozen fish finger substitutes out there and they’re all fantastic but I wanted to try things a little differently
View all comments
Laurina Roo @sweetenedbyplants
6 years ago
Oh my gosh!!! *jaw drop! These are awesome! Especially being from Newcastle and living by the beach it’s great you’ve found a way to have your “tofish” finger – love the name by the way!
Always gotta use a pun where you can 😉 I was never a real fan of seafood growing up except for when it was crumbed or fried to remove most of the fishiness (haha) so these have just the right amount of ocean taste to them. You can even increase it with more seaweed 😀